Lazada Philippines

Monday, August 29, 2011

Iloilo: Plaza Libertad

Before heading back to the place where we stayed during our trip here in Iloilo, City Corporate Inn - Iloilo, the gang decided to pay a visit to the soon-to-be busiest plaza in all of Iloilo City, The Plaza Libertad.


I said soon-to-be because when we arrived there, one thing that caught our attention was the busy construction site for the soon-to-be Iloilo City Municipal Hall. It is some 3-minute walk from the said plaza, so for sure, people would be swamping this area here once it is officially houses Iloilo's top officials.


Anyway, for those who are planning to see this little plaza (or park) here, according to the signs that I saw, this is where the Flag of the First Philippine Republic was raised after the Spaniards were defeated in a war led by General Martin Delgado on the Christmas Day of 1898.


This place was actually named Plaza Alfonso XII before. Alfonso XII is a former king of Spain, reigning from 1874 to 1855. But now that it carries the name Plaza Libertad, a small statue of our national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal, is to be found on the center of it.


The plaza isn't as grand as any parks in the province. If I may say so, I think the place was quite neglected by the province. I just hope that in time that they'll open their new municipal hall, they'll also spend some money and time in rehabilitating the place.


At the back of this park, one of the nicest churches I've seen here in Iloilo is to be found, the San Jose Parish Placer, which I'll be discussing on my next blog. Hehe.


More than any thing else, it was of gladness that I had an opportunity to see this Rizal-based spot. It just proves to me how Ilonggos pay respect to the great hero who offered his life for our dear country.

Happy rammmpa!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...