Lazada Philippines

Monday, January 10, 2011

Feast of the Black Nazarene 2011

mThe most celebrated feast in Manila once again proved to the whole world how we, Filipinos, give importance to our faith - to our religion.


The Feast of the Black Nazarene was attended by millions of devotees from the different parts of the country, making it the most attended and most awaited celebration every start of the year.


Every 9th of January, Filipino devotees gathered around the Black Nazarene and together they pull the string that holds the carriage of the Black Nazarene to parade it on the streets of Quiapo, Manila.

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday's event was the third time that the replica was travelled from Quirino Grandstand, Luneta to its home at the Basilica of the Black Nazarene at Quiapo, Manila.

This was my third time too to cover/take photos of the said event. And just like every year, I always expect the unexpected.


My father is a devotee of the Black Nazarene that's why since I was a child I am aware on how drastic and how this celebration can be so dangerous.

According to the reports, last day's celebration caused about 700 injuries to young and old, mostly feet injuries.


This year, due to the heavy rain that poured when I was about to go to Quiapo, I didn't get a chance to see the parade, but nonetheless, I still struggled myself in to get inside the basilica.


If you think that getting in with that huge number of crowd was already a sacrifice, well, I think with the rain and the mud all over the church, the sacrifice was twice as you expected.


A lot of different people gathered in and around the church to co-celebrate this festivity. I got a chance to see some people who are dressed like the Black Nazarene and act like they are being possessed by Him.


There were also little replicas of the said patron saint that were being paraded on the streets of Quiapo. While inside the church, white hankies and more replicas were raised to give thanks and praise to the miracle and blessings that the Black Nazarene has given to all His believers.


Miraculous or not, I think there’s nothing wrong with this kind of tradition.

I don’t see anything wrong in believing to statues like the Black Nazarene.


Happy Fiesta, Nuestro Padre Hesus Nazareno!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...