Lazada Philippines

Saturday, February 22, 2014

BenCab: Meeting a Fellow Batang Tundo

Believe it or not, despite of being a frequent vacationer in the country's Summer Capital, I haven't been to this place that serves as one of Baguio City's artistic gem. But did you know that before National Artist Benedicto "BenCab" Cabrera move in here, he was one of those kids from Tondo who aspire to be great through the use of his God-given talent?


This was my first visit in this inspiring museum. Though I'm not really a fan of his works before, after meeting him personally and hearing some nice words about him from his staff, I must say that I was a lucky biatch that time to meet the man behind these great artworks personally and heard from his mouth how Tondo made the BenCab he is now.


With a great number of "Bulol" or the Igorot Guardians in every corner of the museum, you'll stop wondering why BenCab's museum is here in Baguio City. Just like the other museums that I've been too, the design in here is so simple, which made every artistic work noticeable and admirable.


Before we go around the museum, the man behind this art haven welcomed us with a smile and even joined us in a photo opportunity that really made this whole trip worthwhile and memorable. It was during this meeting that he shared to us how his family once lived in Yuseco Street, Tondo, Manila. It was in Tondo where he created one of his famous artworks, the "Sabel".


I honestly don't know about this, but hearing him the stories behind these masterpieces were purely inspiring and heart-warming at the same time. I mean, seriously, who would have thought that? Haha!

Since we weren't the only guests that time, we didn't eat much of his time, and decided to push through with our tour around the museum. Miss Vina was our tour guide that time. Educating and entertaining us at the same time as we walk pass every piece in the museum; we had an idea what those - mostly carved - woods stand for.


There are some pieces in here that might raise some questions to some, especially to children, so I'm suggesting that if you are coming in with your child, be ready to answer some Rated R questions from them. But don’t worry if you couldn't answer them, I believe the tour guides here are trained to answer curious children's questions.

Aside from painting and wood carvings, BenCab Museum is also filled with metal-base artworks that really caught my attention. I didn't know, again, how great his talent is. How I wish that I can afford at least one of those artworks - I WISH! Hahaha!


One of the many things that I appreciate about this place is that BenCab Museum is not exclusive to BenCab's works. The place allows other artists to showcase their artworks - something that adds pogi points to BenCab, I think.

Going around the whole museum was kinda tiring, to my surprise, they have their own cafe in here, which shares a splendid view of the nature and delicious food - so, yeah, we had a chance to take a rest and just enjoy the bonus that this place offers.


BenCab is open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 6.pm. A Php100.00 entrance fee per person will be collected in the lobby, and each group will have a guide as they go around.

I just hope that when you visit BenCab Museum, Mr. Cabrera is also there for you to have a chance some more stories that he shared to us.

From the guy who came from Tondo, thank you for the inspiration, BenCab! 
Happy Rammmpa!



1 comment:

  1. nice... im going to Baguio again this summer, I miss the opportunity to visit bencab hopefully this time I can visit it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...