Lazada Philippines

Friday, January 10, 2014

Feast of the Black Nazarene 2014: To God be the Glory

I won't deny the fact that for the past years that I've been witnessing and writing about the celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene, I mostly discuss the things that could make anyone's heart heavy, disappointed and afraid. The way this feast is celebrated is truly different and quite dangerous, and if you are not that serious and brave enough, fear more. But since I feel that I'm in this "Moving On" stage, I wanna start my year on a positive note, hence I will just share the things that made me feel how big God's love to me.


First, my new boss allowed me to take a time off from work to be here in Quiapo for the Feast of the Black Nazarene. I'm honestly not expecting him to allow me, but I'm really, really glad that he let me go. This is one of the many festivals in the country that is so important to me, and I'm glad that I witnessed it again.


Second, I was at the right time and at the right moment when I saw the replica. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time that the procession will be taking Escolta Street, and with its rich and colorful history just like the replica of the Black Nazarene, this is one great moment that I don't want to miss.


It feels so nice to walk along the once-famous street of Escolta. The grand displayed of its sky-scrapping establishments are still there despite of the lack of attention given to them by the government and the people. I've been wanting to visit Escolta and I'm glad that I've made it with the replica of the Black Nazarene on the other end.


It only took us some minutes till the rope and the "andas" came to our view - from Jones Bridge turning left to Escolta Street The effect was the same, despite of the swirling movement of the devotees who are all trying to take a hold of the rope and some  trying to reach the image of the Black Nazarene inside the float, the moment the devotees cheer "Viva, Senor Nazareno!", I can't help but to enjoy the goosebumps brought by the moment. Some say its the fanaticism, but for me I think its the brotherhood that ignites the faith and love among us.


Some people think its crazy to be here, but seriously, this is one experience every Filipino Catholic should have. Of course, we cannot deny the fact that you might get hurt in here. But - again - if you are strong and brave enough to take the EDSA buses or the MRT/LRT, you could manage to stand the challenges here - and it's gonna be more meaningful, believe me.


I had a great 15-minute  or so view of the whole thing with a beautiful background showing how Escolta still has its beauty. I somehow mustered a series of nice shots so I decided to leave my spot and take the parallel street to exit.

But as I walk towards Sta. Cruz Plaza the light bulb in my head lighted again, and this time, I found myself standing right in front of another famous landmark, the Roman Santos Building. This is another moment for me to immortalize the passing of the Black Nazarene in one of the oldest structures in Manila.


I'm happy that the crowd here was quite tolerable than the one in Escolta. I had some nice shots and these are definitely for keeping.


After my two rounds of witnessing the procession, I finally decided to go to the church to attend the mass. I usually attend a mass first before seeing the procession, but I really cannot contain my excitement about the Escolta thing that's why I decided to see the procession first before hearing a mass.

I managed to get inside the church despite of the number of devotees that what seems to be half of the crowd in the procession. I was blessed to be on the 4 o'clock mass, wherein the people are much lesser than the 3 o'clock mass.


The priest's homily was so touching he shared to us how we should always be thankful to all the blessings that we have been receiving. And with that, I offer this moment to thank Him for all the goodness and love He has given  to me, my family and friends.


If my father is still alive, I know that he'll be happy to see these photos and maybe even share these to his friends. I still miss him, and I know that I'll never get the chance to feel him, but through this cause, I know that he'll be around watching over us.

Happy fiesta, Quiapo! Viva Senor Nazareno!
Happy 2014! Happy Rammmpa!



1 comment:

  1. Nice to see your experiences at the feast day. Great too that you were able to see the procession up close. Ako nga, I was at the Liwasang Bonifacio area when I saw the Traslacion. You can check my blog for my experiences and pics http://ametromanilaguy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...